Friday, August 8, 2008

Should we GPS track abusers?

In Illinois, they are. I found this from the news feed down right. From NPR (you can listen to the story by clicking the link):

GPS to Warn Domestic Violence Victims


Audio for this story will be available at approx. 3:00 p.m. ET

Day to Day, August 8, 2008 · This week, the governor of Illinois signed legislation that will allow the state's judges to tag domestic violent offenders with GPS tracking devices. The abusers' victims will get monitors that warn them if their attacker is in the area. Alex Chadwick talks with Michael Bischof, who spearheaded the movement to pass the bill after his sister's death.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, particularly considering this freaking tragedy that happened in Portland just yesterday.

1 comment:

KelseyP said...

At face value this sounds like a good idea for survivors who want to have the ability to know where their abusers are.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about tracking criminals with GPS so I don't know what the success rate is. I wonder how easy/difficult it is to manipulate the devices or get around them. If it is possible, and somewhat easy, then I forsee it providing survivors a false sense of security. If it has proven to be a successful tracking method then I could see it working really well for DV/SA survivors.