Monday, March 24, 2008

PWCL on the Radio

This weekend Lyndi and I went on KPSU to talk about our work, the upcoming SAAM events and our collaboration on Bike Back the Night with the good folks with PSU's Take Back the Night rally. Here is a link to listen to us on the show (we're at about 40 minutes into it). We were all a little bit nervous, and it was live at the time. Each of us was able to bring a song that represented our events or meant something to us. Lyndi played the lovely Tori Amos song Silent All These Years and I brought a Le Tigre song called Dyke March 2001. Unfortunately I don't think it made it onto this recorded version but you can listen to the interview here... http://archive.kpsu.org/audio/download/12008/PDX_Soundtracks_%282pm_on_Mar_23rd%2C_2008%29.mp3

When I was thinking about what song to bring I was going through my music collection and remembering those year's when I was discovering the music and work of Kathleen Hannah and Riot Grrl and how I know it helped me deal as well as lead me to my early involvement in dvsa work in Eugene. She still inspires me. If you haven't heard the song "Hot Topic" it's like having an inspirational library in the form of a hand clapping dance song to teach you about people like Mab Segrest, the Butchies, Gyatri Spivak, Angela Davis, etc, etc.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how much I love Kathleen Hannah, but I'll stop short to say that we'll be on KPSU again during April (date TBA) as well as the KBOO show Bread and Roses on April 18th. Tune in!

2 comments:

lauren said...

the funniest part is that i was listening to le tigre while i checked this blog. great minds...

Jenny said...

There's a clapping song that explains Gaytri Spivak? Where was this when I was in grad school?