Friday, March 21, 2008

This is how I feel today...

Earlier this week I saw this picture on CuteOverload (only one of my most favorite sites, ever) and all I could think was, "oh puppy... I can relate."

I personally had a long week at work. Linda and I have recently started working on, what I think will be, our biggest fund raising event ever for the year. Granted, its not until September, but I'm still stressing over every little detail. Hey, it comes with the territory of being a perfectionist. On top of stressing about the event we also had a plethora of computer problems, last minute projects, and of course, crisis calls coming into the office. To say I was tuckered out would be an understatement.

Today I received a phone call from a company taking a survey, and one of the questions was about my place of employment. When I told the person on the phone that I work for PWCL, they told me that the crisis line helped their family get through a domestic violence crisis in the past, and then the interviewer thanked me for doing the work I do.

That was all it took for me to feel less stressed and more hopeful. Rebecca, our wonderful ED, spoke on a panel at International Women's Day a couple weeks ago about the importance of keeping the hope of ending domestic and sexual violence as we continue to do our work at PWCL. Hearing this person thank me, someone who they probably didn't even talk to on the crisis line, really gave me a jolt of hope again.

So as I sit here with wet hair in my pajamas, I want to pass on the news to all of my lovely coworkers that we're making a difference, despite sometimes feeling like there is little momentum of change happening. Since we are a crisis line, we don't often hear how and when we've helped someone, so I think its important to pass on the information when we do find out.

Its interesting how what one person says to you can make your whole day. Thanks random phone interviewer!

1 comment:

Linda said...

phew!

Kelsey you are the best! Thanks for holding up the fort while I was on vacation and thanks for this great post.