Friday, April 18, 2008

Bike Back the Night is Next Week!

*Ledena is again unable to post to the blog. W-T-F Google?! I'm posting it for her and while I'm at it I just want to say: LEDENA - you've done an amazing job working on SAAM this year. I hope you know how proud and appreciative we all are of you and the work you've done. Hopefully you'll have much more time to commense the dancin' in the kitchen again. - Kelsey


Way back in April of 07 I returned to the crisis line after a day of outreach for last year’s sexual assault awareness month with my brain churning about what we could do next year. I was talking to some of my co workers about how great it would be to do a bike ride for SAAM next year, and here we are with less than a week to go before Bike Back the Night comes to fruition for the first time on Thursday April 24th starting at 4:30 pm at Colonel Summer’s park (SE 20th and Belmont under the covered picnic area). You can register at the PWCL Eventbrite page by clicking HERE.


This year’s Sexual Assault Awareness Events have been really great for all of us here at PWCL. The staff, volunteer and community support and effort have really been uplifting for me as I learn more and more about what it takes to plan events: a lot of phone calling, list making and A LOT OF HELP AND SUPPORT FROM OTHER PEOPLE. I just want to give a huge shout out to Linda, Rebecca, Kelsey and Lyndi for all of their hard work for SAAM and Bike Back the Night (not to mention the countless other folks who have helped as well!!!).


I see SAAM as a time to re-energize in the uphill battle of fighting domestic and sexual violence everyday. It’s been tremendously inspiring the response that we have gotten from the community so far and I can’t wait until Thursday, when we rally together in such a public way, to recognize our work, recognize survivors and support this year’s Take Back the Night rally at PSU.


Hope to see you there!!


Ledena


“Live with the suffering in the center of your heart, because the struggle is the change.” Eve Ensler

2 comments:

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Oops. I didn't mean to delete that comment!

All it said was that you made me cry too, Ledena! And BBTN is going to be so very super SAFE and FUN! :)