Thursday, April 10, 2008

Model Minority: How Women's Magazine's Whitewash Different Ethnicities

Hat tip to one of my faves: Racialicious




Here's the article.

What do you think? Have you found any women's magazines that are moderately mainstream but also celebrate genuine ethnic diversity?

Here's an excerpt. I like this sassy writer's style:

My name is Alex Alvarez. And I hate women’s magazines.


Don’t get me wrong: I like fashion and I’ve worked at several magazines over the past couple of years. I can talk about Courrèges and Two Girls, One Cup in the same breath. But so many women’s magazines, both “fashion” mags like Glamour and Vogue and “sexy” mags like Cosmo and Horse & Hound do women so much more harm than good.


Women’s magazines have long been accused of creating a standard of beauty that will forever be just out of the grasp of most women - prompting them, of course, to wait until next month’s issue for more advice on how to be perfect. (Hint! Transplant your face with this other face.) Selling women this promise not only keeps magazines on newsstands and subscriptions in the mail, it also helps appease the real driving force behind all magazines — advertisers and Satan. And what women end up purchasing is cosmetic “whiteness.” You know you’ve made it, baby, when you wake up looking like you faceplanted on Plymouth Rock.


Advertisers and Satan! HA!

And don't forget to join PWCL and CARA tomorrow at Noon at PSU. Learn the real deal about Healthy Sexuality, not what the magazines tell you!


2 comments:

KelseyP said...

I only really read one magazine, and that's O Magazine. Oh how embarassing.

I find that even in O Magazine that true ethnic diversity isn't really celebrated. Oprah herself is African American, of course, but I don't feel like she often talks about diversity, or really represents it. I don't really feel all that represented in that magazine being a young white woman who doesn't make much money, so I wonder how other folks from other ethnic backgrounds feel about it.

I think this is a great discussion to have for our feminist salon, whaddya think? I'd LOVE to talk about the representation (or lack there of) of healthy body image comes across in mainstream media for women, too.

KelseyP said...

Ugh, that last sentence didn't make sense. You know what I mean.