Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm Liking the Teaspoon Reference

I have to say, I'm not an avid daily blog reader, but now and then I stumble across some blogs that I find interesting posts on now and then... you know, when I get that reading itch that only hits me ever so often. In one of those rare occurrences this week, I came across a link to a blog with a post about teaspoon jewelry that you can buy, and the proceeds benefit CARE, an organization dedicated to ending the global hunger crisis. I know what you're thinking. Teaspoon jewelry...why?!

It originates from a writer named Melissa on a fabulous blog called Shakesville. She explains the reference started in a post titled "Me and My Teaspoon" by saying:

The teaspoon reference started with my post on International Human Rights Day, when I said: "Today is the final day of the 16 Days of Action Against Gender Violence, during which I suppose I have blogged exactly as often as always about violence against women, in America and abroad. Sometimes it feels like it's all I ever write about; sometimes it feels like I can't possibly write about it enough to do the issue justice; often, those feelings exist within me simultaneously. All I ever do is try to empty the sea with this teaspoon; all I can do is keep trying to empty the sea with this teaspoon." From that came the Shakesville Silver Teaspoon for Random Acts of Feminism, and a whole lot of subsequent references to teaspoons in these pages, when we are feeling crushed by the vastness of the work to be done.

Really. Do I need to say more? Could a reference be anymore fitting for the work we do at PWCL and similar feminist organizations? I think not. Thanks to Melissa and the awesome bloggers over at Shakesville and to Faith on That is so Queer for making such cute jewelry with great meaning and an even greater cause that will benefit from the sales.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Kelsey - Thank you so much for posting this! Melissa is amazing and I am making jewelry as fast as my hands can go.

On another note, I'm also a survivor and now that I've seen this site, I'm bookmarking it!

Thanks!