Monday, June 9, 2008

Have you seen this?

From the Women's Media Center (warning: contains a whole lot of cable news channel political "opinion" on HRC. Yuck. This made me glad I don't have cable.)



I'm an Obama supporter, obviously. I even recently purchased my "another mama for Obama" t-shirt, but I keep wondering if Hillary's failure is somehow the feminist movement's failure. Or maybe just the rape culture's success. again.

What do you think? Those quotes in the video are pretty powerful.

2 comments:

KelseyP said...

That just made me sick to my stomach.

I find it extremely interesting how subversive those comments can be when they are by themselves... the minute you start putting the clips back to back it becomes sickening how pervasive sexism and patriarchy are in our culture. I feel like it is so easily excused when you don't put them back to back. Ugh.

I remember reading Backlash when I was a freshman in college and not quite understanding what a backlash really looked like. This is a perfect example.

seed said...

Wow, I am so depressed and disgusted right now... In watching news coverage of the primary race, I remember seeing some of this but overall being impressed that there wasn't more of it. I guess it's just because I don't have cable.

Not only am I incredibly disappointed in what came out of some of the mens' mouthes; I'm also disappointed in all of the men listening in front of the camera who didn't interrupt it.