Friday, June 13, 2008

Purity Balls totally freak me out. You?


Judith Warner has a thought-provoking piece up at nytimes.com on the role patriarchy often plays in the abstinence fervor. I haven't read much about the case in France that she references in the first paragraph, so I have no idea whether it's appropriate to use in this context, but I like what she says about the possibility for boundary violation that an abstinence-only culture establishes.


Here's some background on the totally creepy abstinence ball Warner references, as well as other artifacts from the abstinence folks.

What do you all, especially those of you with children in your life, think about this?

1 comment:

KelseyP said...

I heard about purity balls about 2 years ago and the idea really, really grosses me out. The idea that a father has control over his daughter's sexuality is just over the line of disturbing to me, and I really wish they were going about teaching healthy sexuality in a better way.

Yuck. Yick. Can't even think about it.